Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Love and Food


What is the one thing that connects us? Love? yes! Food? yes! Love of Food? Yes and Yes!! My friend and I went out to a new restaurant/bar last night called Bangers and Lace. A modern take on a British cabin with lace details and taxidermy lining its shelves. A pure delight for those of us for a taste of the strange. After devouring a delicious selection of bacon wrapped kielbasa, lamb and feta flat bread, and chorizo deviled eggs, I was a happy girl. We began an intense conversation about food and philanthropy. What can we do as foodies to help our fellow man? I learned about this amazing organization here in Chicago called Growing Home; a program committed to rehabilitating people through the cultivation of organic produce.

Photo courtesy of www.growinghomeinc.or
Homeless people are often without roots. They’re not tied down, not connected, not part of their family anymore. Our organic farming program is a way for them to connect with nature – to plant and nurture roots over a period of time. When you get involved in taking responsibility for caring for something, creating an environment that produces growth, then it helps you build self-esteem.” --Founder, Les Brown


 So, I decided it was time to share my love of food with my love of humanity. At the end of it all, that is what truly connects us. We all want love, we all need food, we all want to be happy! And our definition of happy can run the gamut! But whether you want something material, emotional, or spiritual, we cannot do it alone.

Today, I am becoming part of the solution!

Kendra

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEHEHE! I put the wrong post on the wrong friends food blog! What I wanted to say to you is: this is great! I think I heard about growing home in a film about food in Amerika.

    ReplyDelete